Rental Assistance

If you applied for this program and were approved OR if you applied and haven’t heard back yet: Please do not reapply! Relevant program updates will be applied to your application. Contact your CAA if you have questions.

Français     |     Español      |      عربى     |      Soomaali     |    Português      |     Lingala     |     ខ្មែរ    |     Tiếng Việt

Ready to apply? (you can download the application to look at if you like)

What information do I need to apply?
Both tenants and landlords need to provide information when applying. However if you are a tenant and your landlord will not participate, we can send the payment to you. Please read this whole section. You need to provide income verification documents, proof of residence, proof of how much you pay each month for rent, your landlord contact information, and utility bills you need help with if you are applying for utility assistance.

Step 1:

INCOME VERIFICATION: You have a few options to submit your income verification.
• If you receive assistance such as HEAP, SNAP, EBT, TANF, WIC, or Headstart services: You ONLY need to submit an approval letter or payment stub from the agency that administers the assistance. The date on the letter or payment stub needs to be after January 1, 2020.
• If you do not receive that kind of assistance, you will need to provide your 2020 annual household income OR your current monthly household income:


2020 Annual Income Option Items: Current Monthly Income Option Items:
  • Your household’s annual income for 2020.
  • 2020 IRS Form 1040s for all household members 18 years or older OR
  • Wage statements, pay stubs, IRS Form W-9, IRS Form 1099 and Schedule C if self-employed, interest statements, Form 1099 G or benefit statements from DOL ReME account if unemployed, and other income proof for all household members 18 years or older
  • Your household’s monthly income as of the application date.
  • Submit your household’s last month’s wage statements, pay stubs, interest statements, unemployment benefit statements (available on DOL ReME account), and other income proof for all household members 18 years or older
  • Check to see if your household income qualifies here

Step 2: Enter your zip code below for an online application. If you prefer to download the application and send it to you local CAP, see the links below.

Step 3: When you submit your application, you will come to a screen notifying you of next steps. You will get an email when the CAA begins processing your application. Check your spam often and be sure to reply if they need more information.

Due to the volume of applications, processing your application may take several weeks. Please help us by being patient and letting your landlord know your application is submitted.

Please call your local Community Action Agency directly if you need help or have questions.

Has your landlord already talked about evicting you? Learn your rights as a renter and what steps you can take to prevent eviction here, from our friends at Pine Tree Legal. Call your local Community Action Agency to let them know you have an eviction notice.

If you are worried that someone you know has applied for this program and doesn’t really need help, you can contact the Maine State Auditor’s Fraud Hotline to make a report. MaineHousing also reserves the right to randomly select applications and request supporting documentation to check for program eligibility.

Find Help

Your zip code:

Download Your Application

If you prefer to download your application and mail or email them to us, you can do that.

Renters: click here for an  application.

To call for assistance or for an address to mail your application, find your local CAP here.